Gyms across the country are getting more involved with educating people on proper running technique to avoid injury. One such gym in Minneapolis, Magna Health and Fitness, offers tips on a successful and pain-free run. Emulate the posture of a toddler—lead with the chest and allow gravity to pull yourself folder with the feet below the hips. Practice belly breathing to take in optimal oxygen. Ensure the shoulders are down and relaxed with the arms at a 90-degree angle.
Running injuries, even with proper precautions, can still occur in many runners. If you are suffering from a running injury see one of our podiatrists from Foot HealthCare Associates. Our doctors will provide you with quality treatment and assist you with all of your foot and ankle concerns.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
Many common running injuries are caused by overuse and overtraining. When the back of the kneecap starts wearing out and starts causing pain in your knee, this is commonly referred to as runner’s knee. Runner’s knee is a decrease in strength in your quadriceps and can occur if you’re not wearing properly fitted or supporting shoes. To prevent runner’s knee, focusing on hip strengthening is a good idea, as well as strengthening your quads to keep the kneecaps aligned.
What Are Some Causes of Running Injuries?
- One cause of a common running injury is called iliotibial band syndrome.
- Plantar fasciitis is also another common injury.
- Stress fractures can occur from overtraining, lack of calcium, or even your running style.
Best Ways to Prevent Running Injuries
- Wear footwear that fits properly and suits your running needs.
- Running shoes are the only protective gear that runners have to safeguard them from injury.
- Make a training schedule. Adding strengthening exercises as well as regular stretching can help keep you strong and limber and can lessen the possibility of injuries.
- Stretching keeps muscles limber, this will help you gain better flexibility.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Michigan. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.
Read more about How to Prevent Running Injuries