There are a variety of causes and treatments for big toe pain. The amount of time spent in treatment and the severity of the pain level will be determined by how long you wait before seeking treatment.
More commonly known as a bunion, the hallux valgus occurs when the tissue or the bone at the joint of the toe is constantly forced into an odd position. This can be caused by wearing ill-fitting shoes that push the big toe out of place over a period of time.
Treatments for Hallux Vulgus:
● Wear a gel pad to protect the area.
● Use properly fitting shoes.
● Take over-the-counter drugs to reduce inflammation.
● Apply ice packs, warm soak baths, and massage.
● Surgery, if necessary.
There are multiple forms of arthritis that can cause big toe pain and inflammation. Knowing the type of arthritis can help gain the proper treatment and pain management plan.
Common Types of Arthritis:
● Osteoarthritis: the cartilage breaks down, leaving the bones to rub together with movement, causing pain.
● Rheumatoid Arthritis: the body’s immune system attacks the synovium, a thin layer of skin lining the joints. This causes inflammation, which causes pain.
● Gout: crystals of urate form in the joints and other bodily tissues, causing pain. This starts with the buildup of uric acid in the body.
● Lupus: the body’s immune system attacks healthy joints in the wrists and feet, among other joints. The attack creates inflammation, causing pain.
● Osteoporosis: the bones become easily breakable under slight pressure or trauma, especially in the foot where pressure from walking can affect bones and joints.
Arthritis requires prescription medicines and a doctor’s supervision for treatment.
Seek Medical Treatment
Big toe pain could occur for any number of reasons and the true cause must be determined before an effective treatment plan can be decided upon. This may require an examination, X-rays, or other medical procedures that can only be gained through a licensed medical facility. Home remedies or ignoring the problem will create more pain or worse medical issues as time goes on.
Trusted Professionals for Big Toe Pain
Over a period of time, painful conditions will worsen if treatment isn’t obtained. If you are having issues with your big toe, it may be time to schedule an appointment with Michigan Podiatry for a consultation.
The professionals at Michigan Podiatry will help you improve your quality of life and reduce the big toe pain. They will provide a medical evaluation that will give you the answers you need. Then, they will help you determine the best treatment plans for your issues. This includes medications, short-term and long-term treatments, and surgery, should that be necessary.