47 year old Lynne Allbutt is adamantly passionate about barefoot running and her home country of Wales. This year Albutt will combine both of the loves in her life in a 45 mile run across Wales. Allbutt was first interested in barefoot running after completing a London marathon without shoes.
To physically prepare for this giant effort, Allbutt created a self-made training regimen that includes running up a mountain after work every evening. “I’m always looking for something different to do,” Allbutt said. “I like running and being barefoot and I love Wales, so obviously it seemed like the ideal way to combine my greatest loves in life.”
Barefoot running is optional but requires consideration. If you are thinking about switching to barefoot running, consider seeing podiatrist Dr. Neal Mozen, DPM of Foot Health Care Associates. Dr. Mozen can treat your foot and ankle needs.
Barefoot running is a fairly popular trend in the running world. More than just simply ‘running without shoes,” barefoot running affects the way your feet hit the ground and your overall posture. Barefoot runners land on the front part of their feet as opposed to those who wear shoes, who usually strike their heel as they hit the ground.
Barefoot running contains many advantages, including:
- A lower risk for ankle and foot injuries
- Improvement in balance and body posture
- Strengthens muscles in the lower legs, ankles and feet that are not normally worked when wearing shoes
There are also disadvantages to barefoot running, which include:
- Lack of shoes increases the risk of incurring blisters, scrapes, bruises and cuts
- Risk of Achilles tendonitis as a result of landing on the front of your feet constantly
- Needing time to adjust as the switch cannot be automatic
For more information about Barefoot Running, follow the link below.
If you have any questions please contact one of our offices, located in Southfield, Novi, and Livonia, MI. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.
Read more about Barefoot Running